Saturday, July 1, 2017

UNEXPECTED UPSCALE

0

Unexpected Upscale


I’m not one for purchasing an item with the intent to transform it into something new and exciting. But sometimes it just happens. Well, this was an accident. I desperately need to replace a set of white string lights that had conveniently decided to not light for an upcoming event and there was no time to spare. So I hopped over to my local Target to pick up a replacement and just to my dismay, what I needed was not on the shelf. I browsed to see what would be my next option. And I found this set of lights with these little white cubes covering the bulbs. The string perfect, lights perfect, cubes, well, not so much. But, my problem solved.


Once home, I tested the lights and removed the little cubes. What I didn’t expect was I really liked the little cubes. They were soft and squishy. They can handle heat. They can go outside. And they even have a little hole on the bottom for drainage! Bingo! Instant outdoor tea lights!


These little cuties are a quick and fun way to light up your outdoor space all summer long. No special care needed.


All you need is a few simple items and you can make them in minutes. So follow along and make some hearts or stars and light up your life unexpectedly!


This is what you will need-


One (or more) Set String Lights…Link here
Star/Heart Cookie Cutter
X-Acto Knife/Scissors
Straightedge
Card Stock
Pencil
Fine Tip Marker
LED String Lights/Battery Operated Tea Lights



Start by removing the cubes off the string lights. Set aside.



Make a template for your cutout. Measure and cut a 2" x  2" square of card stock. Trace your star in the middle of the square. You can use any shape you like.




Use a straightedge as a guide to cut the star out of the 2" square with the X-Acto knife.


Lay your star template on top of the cube.


Trace the shape onto two sides of the cube with your fine tip marker.


Carefully slice a small slit in the middle of the star with the X-Acto knife, about 1/2" long.


Slide your scissors into the slit and carefully follow the marker line to cut out the shape. 


Repeat for all cubes. 




Feed a LED string light through the hole in the bottom. Spiral several inches of the lights inside each cube. Run the end back out of the bottom hole and connect to another cube.


Or set a small tea light inside and…



Wait for the sun to set…


Light...


A few...


Or just one...


And light up your outdoor space...


String light crisis eluded.

0 comments:

Post a Comment