Sunday, August 23, 2015

AN OUTDOOR SOIRÉE FOR TWO

0



Hidden away and covered with layers of time in dust, I stumbled upon a tiny little table that has been in my basement. For years. The top has been housing some cardboard boxes full of stuff. You know it, you have one too. Well this cute table was a kit that my husband had purchased and assembled and finished for me. So sweet. So tiny. So in need to be used.


I decided to put it to good use. It was in perfect condition, just needed a little swipe of a cloth and it was good to go.

How fun to have an outside intimate dinner.

Outside it went and I turned it into a magical table for two. The day was beautiful and I knew evening would be as well. And perhaps romantic?

The table was so small that I decided on a floral garland- runner and two candles as the only decoration. A few plates, glasses and cloth napkins were all I needed.

Here is the story of how I decorated the table.

These are the tools you will need.


These are the flowers and greenery I used. I used three types of white flowers to be placed on the greenery. Very simple.


The greenery and flowers came from my local grocery store.

By laying a length of twine on top and down both sides of the table, I was able to determine the length I wanted the garland to be.


Start by placing together small groups of greenery, I used Eucalyptus branches. Trim the stems.


With floral wire (or floral tape) loosely wrap a couple loops around the stems. I use floral wire because it is easy to use, and can be cut with just a pair of scissors. Works well for me.



Lay the groups of greenery on the twine, cover the entire length.


Attach the groups to the twine once at the bottom of each group and near the top of the greenery with several loose loops of floral wire.


To keep the Hydrangea from wilting, trim the ends, then wrap little pieces of paper towel dampened with water, then secure with plastic wrap.




Take a leave and cover the plastic wrap.



Place the flowers on the greenery. Secure to the garland with the floral wire at the bottom of the stem and then again just under the head of the flower.


The second flower I used was White Iris.


I arranged them in groups of three. Trimmed them. Wrapped floral wire to secure. Spaced, then attached to the garland with the wire.

The third flower I used was Baby’s Breath. I trimmed them into small bunches.


Then I just tucked them randomly onto the garland. No wire to secure.


Then I tied a white ribbon into a bow in the center. Just because.


Spritz to keep wet, then store in a cool place until ready to set table. A refrigerator would be ideal.


To set the table, I gathered the items I needed on a tray. Actually, two trays.


First I placed a white cloth, folded on top like a runner. Then the garland was layered on the cloth.

Then the plates, silverware, crystal, candle holders, candles, napkins, rings. All the little things I love to set a table. Slightly formal, but not. Casual comfort. Very romantic. Beautiful weather. Perfect.


A few leftovers, nothing was wasted.


Hope you will set an outdoor table for two, or more, and see where the night will take you! Fond memories.

0 comments:

Post a Comment